Our client is a leading research, education and advocacy organisation committed to building resilient rural and regional communities through long-term and sustainable growth of Australian agriculture. Integrating its research results, education tools and programs into its consulting services to farmers across the country, our client is an independent not-for-profit registered environmental organisation.
Partnering with global leaders in agricultural research, regenerative land management practices and innovation, their research is focused on creating a more resilient, productive and profitable landscapes where agriculture and the environment work in unison.
This is a unique and exciting role, suited to a candidate who is a passionate advocate of regenerative farming practices.
As Farm Manager, you are responsible for the effective management of farm staff and its operations across two properties. One farm is predominantly a cattle grazing enterprise while the other (located 5 kilometres away) also has cattle, along with a large scale, free range poultry enterprise.
You will facilitate and implement learning opportunities for staff regarding implementing the organisation's regenerative agricultural practices and assist with field days and various demonstrations.
Working closely with the individual managers of the farms, you will maximise farm returns in line with business targets and ensure appropriate budget and cash flow management while overseeing the maintenance of technical and administrative records.
Your duties will include (but not limited to):
- Direct and supervise all staff in farm operations and ensure the application of safe and appropriate animal welfare practices
- Ensure a happy and collaborative working environment which also provides for creating opportunities for careers in agriculture within the organisation
- Effectively communicate with staff and ensuring staff are motivated and well led
- Provide and implement learning opportunities for staff regarding regenerative agricultural practices
- Perform farm operations associated with the management of poultry and cattle enterprises
- Manage pasture for landscape and stock health and collect management data using software and data management tools
- Support activities and operations required for research projects
- Assist with education extension activities such as field days and demonstrations
- In conjunction with research and other regional staff, plan and implement the maintenance and development of resources and facilities
- Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of fences, equipment and machinery
- Ensure all staff adhere to health and safety regulations
- Assist with the recruitment and training of new staff members
- Build professional networks and keep abreast of developments in agricultural science
- Responsible for budget and cash flow management
- Technical and administrative record keeping
- Prepare and deliver farm operations reports for the management board
- Collaborate with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports
Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of ten years' experience in a similar role with proven knowledge and a commitment to regenerative and holistic farming practices. The farms are run using biodynamic principals, therefore an understanding of these methodologies and their practical applications is also required.
You will have good business sense, have previously managed profitable farms and be equipped with a strong understanding of all aspects associated with livestock, grazing and pasture management in a regenerative agricultural setting.
To be considered for the role, it is important you can address the above criteria, along with the following:
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with staff
- Sound financial management skills and an understanding of the relationship between on-farm activity and financial consequences
- Excellent leadership skills, keen problem solving abilities
- Highly efficient with a hands-on approach to management
- Self-driven and ambitious with demonstrated initiative and excellent decision making skills
- Great communication skills - able to engage with a range of stakeholders
- The Farm Manager is responsible for the management of farm staff and farm operations on
- An understanding of policy and procedure manuals and a contemporary understanding of Industrial legislation and HR policy and procedure
Choose Agri Talent
Agri Talent provides permanent recruitment and executive search services exclusively for
Australian agribusiness. We combine a proven, process-driven approach with the most
extensive digital network in agriculture to find your permanent people.
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact Tim Chapman, General Manager, Agri Talent: 1300 247 823