Our client is a large, National Horticulture business who specialise in a variety of tree crop orchards. They pride themselves on their staff retention and career development opportunities that has seen 70% of their Orchard Managers promoted from irrigation roles.
As Irrigation Controller, you will be responsible for managing the irrigation operations and infrastructure for our client's highly productive commercial, 600 hectare almond orchard based in Hillston.
You will have four individuals reporting to you where you will be responsible for overseeing the effective management of all irrigation projects. The role ensures watering systems and tree growth are at optimum function, while managing all breakdowns and decommissions with minimal disruption to critical production schedules.
Applying your extensive irrigation experience, you will have the autonomy to implement irrigation programs suitable to the site and play a hands-on role in monitoring soil moisture and maintaining the farm's irrigation equipment and other infrastructure. Reporting to the Orchard Manager, you will train and develop Irrigation Technicians to ensure they successfully manage their tasks, while ensuring a culture of safety for your team and yourself at all times.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, your duties will include but not be limited to:
- In collaboration with management, prepare weekly irrigation schedules
- Identify and report wet areas and undertake corrective measures
- Assist the Orchard Manager with recording and maintaining all irrigation records and events including; power and water usage, water table readings etc
- Provide clear direction and assign tasks effectively to Irrigation Technicians
- Lead and support teams to achieve performance goals
- Manage risks and incidents in accordance with the client's WHS systems
- Provide expert advice, support and regular training for on-farm irrigation management
- Occasional travel within the region
Skills & Experience
With proven agricultural experience, this role is ideally suited to someone with qualifications in horticulture or medium to large scale drip irrigation knowledge.
Flexible with exceptional problem-solving capabilities, you be able to make decisions quickly in emergent situations and be an excellent communicator who can effectively manage staff from a range of backgrounds and cultures.
Time management and planning are necessary for the job, along with good communication skills and an understanding of program maintenance irrigation infrastructure. To be considered for the role, it's important you can address the following criteria:
- Knowledge of drip irrigation systems, design and functionality
- Agricultural experience in tree crop / Orchard (essential)
- Drip irrigation experience is essential
- Good computer skills
- A relevant trade or qualification - Irrigation Diploma, Cert III or Cert IV (preferred)
- ChemCert Certification
- Understanding of budget tracking and expenses
- Effective problem solver, able to make fast decisions
- Proven ability to effectively manage a team
- Knowledge of WHS requirements
- Current driver's licence
Choose Agri Talent
Agri Talent provides permanent recruitment and executive search services exclusively for Australian agribusiness. We combine a proven, process-driven approach with the most extensive digital network in agriculture to find your permanent people.
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact Sai Yan on 0427 715 619 or Nick Marchant, Lead Consultant, Agri Talent: 0476 884 936