Our client is a dynamic business that has been in operation since 1971. With six category divisions that include coffee, transport, packaging, electrical, poultry and the world's largest saltwater crocodile farm, this is an extremely diverse company offering exciting opportunities.
Based in Lae, the operation comprises three farms with 250,000 birds in each, two hatcheries and a processing plant.
This unique opportunity sees you taking the helm as the manager of the company's entire poultry division. In this key leadership role, you will lead, direct and control all elements of the company's poultry operations to drive improved production and deliver incremental gains towards profitability and quality.
This position oversees the planning and coordination of the poultry production supply chain and is responsible for the expansion of the layer production facilities. You'll work in close association with the CEO and other senior management on a range of company objectives and be highly skilled in maintaining cost controls to achieve budget targets.
The role has the support of farm managers, 2IC's, vets and nutritionist as direct reports and other staff as indirect reports. The company is offering up to $190K salary, accommodation, return flights to Australia and is willing to make significant contributions to school fees for candidates with children.
Ensuring animal welfare and health standards are met or exceeded at all times, your duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Develop and deliver a strategic plan delivering growth and profitability for the company
- Plan and co-ordinate the poultry production supply chain in accordance with forecasts provided by the sales team
- Ensure effective animal husbandry across the poultry production supply chain including grandparents, hatcheries and broiler phases of production
- Lead and expand the egg layer production facilities in accordance with market demand
- Ensure skills within the poultry operation are in accordance with best practice and all succession planning and skills acquisition programs are maintained to support training and succession planning requirements established and effective
- Lead, direct and control the poultry processing phase of production
- Ensure that poultry processing capabilities and schedules are in accordance with sales requirements and customer demands
- Establish and monitor workplace practices to ensure a safe workplace for all staff
- Meet and exceed company and client expectations in animal welfare and health
- Develop a culture of continuous improvement
- Identify areas of sub-optional performance and productivity and develop improvement strategies
- Maintain cost controls to achieve budget targets and to support profitability
Your Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of ten years' experience in the poultry industry with proven expertise in a supervisory role. The role requires the capability of someone with tertiary qualifications in agriculture, agribusiness, animal or veterinary science (or equivalent) - an understanding of working in a developing country is highly regarded.
The role calls for someone with excellent leadership skills who is committed to the support, development, and positive engagement of a diverse team with varying abilities.
To be considered for the role, it's important you address the following criteria:
- Tertiary qualifications in agriculture, agribusiness, animal or veterinary science (or equivalent)
- Minimum ten years' experience in poultry livestock management
- Leadership and management capability
- Knowledge of poultry husbandry, production systems (broilers)
- Great interpersonal skills, including client management skills
- Knowledge on industry standards - biosecurity, WHS, animal welfare
Choose Agri Talent
Agri Talent provides permanent recruitment and executive search services exclusively for
Australian agribusiness. We combine a proven, process-driven approach with the most
extensive digital network in agriculture to find your permanent people.
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact Tim Chapman, General Manager, Agri Talent: 0499 184 555